Donald J. Trump had a pretty super Super Tuesday. He won more delegates than any other Republican contender and his lead has expanded considerably. Final results are still not in from all contests, but the model put together by The New York Times blog The Upshot has Trump picking up about 241 delegates, to 223 for Sen. Ted Cruz, 111 for Sen. Marco Rubio, 18 for Gov. John Kasich and just three for Dr. Ben Carson. Undeniably, Trump is the front-runner and his odds of nabbing enough delegates to claim the nomination are high…. (Read more at the R Street Institute Blog)
Could This Year’s Election Revive the First Branch?
- Why I like voting by mail — It has been a few years since I queued up at a polling place, and I am the happier for it. Don’t get me wrong, I am a sucker for the pageantry: citizen volunteers man polling places; activists outside hand out flyers in hopes of swinging votes; I get a little sticker to wear proudly [...]
- Bring in the nerds: Reviving the Offi... — Read it [...]
- The Russia Investigation: Why the Ove... — What’s going on with the Russia investigation? For most of us, the answer likely is, “Beats me.” It seems every week or two there’s a media report about Congress holding a hearing or some member of Team Trump or other person being called in to testify: James Comey, Paul Manafort, Donald Trump Jr. The facts [...]
- CRS Should Stop Fighting Access to It... — The Congressional Research Service plays an essential role in policymaking and oversight. It makes Congress smarter about issues and teaches new legislators how to legislate. I would not have spent 11 years working at CRS if I did not think very highly of the institution. But there is one topic on which the widely esteemed [...]
- Six Quick Takes On President Trump... — #1 Thank you for making your speech short. Really, the days when folks enjoyed hearing long orations have passed. #2 I am glad you thanked the Obamas for being “magnificent” to you during the transition. Offering “gracious aid” to an incoming president is part of the orderly transfer of government. I hope you’ll be as helpful when [...]