Yes, writes Marci Harris and her team at PopVox…. (Read more at LegBranch.com)
Is the 114th Congress Getting Things Done?
- The Russia Investigation: Why the Ove... — What’s going on with the Russia investigation? For most of us, the answer likely is, “Beats me.” It seems every week or two there’s a media report about Congress holding a hearing or some member of Team Trump or other person being called in to testify: James Comey, Paul Manafort, Donald Trump Jr. The facts [...]
- CRS Should Stop Fighting Access to It... — The Congressional Research Service plays an essential role in policymaking and oversight. It makes Congress smarter about issues and teaches new legislators how to legislate. I would not have spent 11 years working at CRS if I did not think very highly of the institution. But there is one topic on which the widely esteemed [...]
- Six Quick Takes On President Trump... — #1 Thank you for making your speech short. Really, the days when folks enjoyed hearing long orations have passed. #2 I am glad you thanked the Obamas for being “magnificent” to you during the transition. Offering “gracious aid” to an incoming president is part of the orderly transfer of government. I hope you’ll be as helpful when [...]
- How the Coming Republican Congress Co... — For the better part of eight years, Republicans have tried to stop the Obama administration from issuing new regulations. They have not had much success. But this may well change in January, when President-elect Donald Trump arrives in the Oval Office. Congress’ primary regulation-whacking tool is the Congressional Review Act (CRA), a bipartisan statute enacted [...]
- Does Congress Finally Get That Busine... — Nearly everyone is gobsmacked by last night’s election results. But should we really be so surprised? No, because a significant portion of the public has been down on the federal government for a long time. Candidates for the presidency have been running as change-agents for decades. Jimmy Carter was the first of the recent outsider [...]