Yes, writes Marci Harris and her team at PopVox…. (Read more at LegBranch.com)
Is the 114th Congress Getting Things Done?
- GAO versus the ghost of OTA: Who will... — Hardly anyone would argue that Congress is well equipped to make technology policy. Very few members are techies, and let’s face it, innovation is hurtling forward at a mind-blowing pace. Nor is Congress and its basic modus operandi — serving as a bargaining arena for diverse interests — particularly congenial to the use of data [...]
- How does Trump’s budget propose to fi... — The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) lost $3.9 billion in 2018. The agency also failed to make a $6.9 billion payment to cover its retiree health and pension benefits. Mail volume is down more than 25 percent since 2008, leaving the postman with less revenue. So what does President Donald J. Trump propose to do to right the USPS’ ship? [...]
- Five charts show the grim financial c... — Last year, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) ran a deficit of $3.9 billion. Unfortunately, losses are the rule rather than the exception for the agency. All this red ink has flowed despite USPS’s aggressive move into the parcel delivery business. These five charts depict the immensity of USPS’s financial challenges. The Postal Service was designed [...]
- The big reforms in the Trump postal r... — Yesterday, the Trump administration unveiled its recommendations for reforming the ailing U.S. Postal Service (USPS). Due to plunging mail volume and rising costs, USPS lost $4 billion last year and has $130 billion in unfunded pension and health care obligations. The 74-page report was issued by the U.S. Treasury, which headed the Task Force on the United States Postal System. Secretary [...]
- A truckload of watermelons: Five OMG’... — John Lawrence has some tales to tell. He served nearly four decades in the House, culminating as the chief of staff to Nancy Pelosi during her stint as speaker from 2007-2011. Lawrence’s book, The Class of ‘74: Congress After Watergate and the Roots of Partisanship (Johns Hopkins), was released earlier this year, and is a heady, political [...]