Yes, writes Marci Harris and her team at PopVox…. (Read more at LegBranch.com)
Is the 114th Congress Getting Things Done?
- The struggle between objectivity vs. ... — Recently, leadership of the Congressional Research Service and the Library of Congress were presented with a memorandum. It expressed concern that the agencies’ analysts, attorneys, and reference experts were being muzzled a bit. “We are concerned that CRS risks falling short of its mission if it holds back the independent analysis that Congress has directed us [...]
- Bring in the nerds: Reviving the Offi... — Read it [...]
- The Russia Investigation: Why the Ove... — What’s going on with the Russia investigation? For most of us, the answer likely is, “Beats me.” It seems every week or two there’s a media report about Congress holding a hearing or some member of Team Trump or other person being called in to testify: James Comey, Paul Manafort, Donald Trump Jr. The facts [...]
- CRS Should Stop Fighting Access to It... — The Congressional Research Service plays an essential role in policymaking and oversight. It makes Congress smarter about issues and teaches new legislators how to legislate. I would not have spent 11 years working at CRS if I did not think very highly of the institution. But there is one topic on which the widely esteemed [...]
- Six Quick Takes On President Trump... — #1 Thank you for making your speech short. Really, the days when folks enjoyed hearing long orations have passed. #2 I am glad you thanked the Obamas for being “magnificent” to you during the transition. Offering “gracious aid” to an incoming president is part of the orderly transfer of government. I hope you’ll be as helpful when [...]