Title 39 of the U.S. Code is devoted to the U.S. Postal Service (USPS). Most laws on the USPS can be found there, though some postal laws also may be found in Title 18, and other references to the “postal service” may be found throughout the U.S. Code.
Research Note: The Laws That Established and Govern the U.S. Postal Service
- Research Note: Winton M. Blount Video... — Winton M. Blount, the Postmaster General, discusses the problems of the of the U.S. Post Office Department (1969?). The Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 replaced the cabinet-level Post Office Department with the U.S. Postal Service, an independent establishment of the executive branch. [Note—the video is labeled 1965, but that is incorrect.] Visit msnbc.com for breaking [...]
- House of Representatives Holds Hearin... — On Thursday, April 15, 2010, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform held a hearing to examine the status of the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), and on recent reports on short and long-term strategies for its financial viability and stability. The hearing was titled: Continuing to Deliver: An Examination of the Postal Service’s Current [...]
- Research Resource: Four-Page Guide to... — The Lexington Institute has published a guide which touched on some of the fundamental facts about the U.S. Postal Service: Lexington Institute, A Quick Reference on the U.S. Postal Service (Arlington, VA: July, [...]
- Research Resource: U.S. Postal Servic... — The U.S. Postal Service’s Historian has produced these data compilations: Rates for Domestic Letters, 1863-2009 (pdf) (rtf) Rates for Domestic Letters, 1792-1863 (pdf) (rtf) Rates for Stamped Cards and Postcards, 1873-2009 (pdf) (rtf) Pieces of Mail Handled, Number of Post Offices, Income, and Expenses, 1789 to 2008 (pdf) (htm) Number of Employees, 1926 to 2008 [...]
- Research Resource: U.S. Postal Servic... — The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) provides the following information online: USPS testimony before Congress USPS speeches USPS press releases USPS financial information including: Annual reports Comprehensive statements and 5 year plans 10Q (quarterly reports) 10K forms FY2009 appropriations request (December 11, 2007) Source: U.S. Postal Service [...]